Thursday, July 16, 2015

Tutorial 1: Easy Steps to Happiness

Hey y'all!

So these last few weeks have mainly seen me scrambling to put together a post to stick to my new year's resolution. While it may seem like I'm slacking, I assure you, it isn't the case. I have some ideas, but unfortunately when I have them, I don't have a pen or paper nearby to write about them. And then when I actually sit down to write about them, I face a solid case of writer's block. *sigh*

But while browsing through my brain, I came across a quirky little idea that I may be able to write about every few weeks. Tutorials!

If I had a really popular blog that received comments and feedback, I could ask the readership for suggestions on what to do these tutorials about, but since I don't, I'm going to assume what people like to read about and just post it in hopes that if someone comes across it, they will find it an enjoyable read!

So let's start this segment with an easy topic that I would think everyone would relate to. I'd like to call today's thought: Tutorial 1: An Easy Guide to Happiness

Often times, in our ridiculously busy lives, most people forget the little things that give us joy. We get so riled up about things that annoy us, we get upset when things don't go our way, and we mope about it and unfortunately, take it out on people who are closest to us - like family. So while I was thinking of a few little things we should all do to maintain our sanity when RL is kicking our butt, these are a few ideas I came up with.

1. Surround yourself with people you love.

This is such a simple little "funda" that we all forget in life! Many a times, in workplaces, in schools, in social settings, we are forced to interact with people who truly tap-dance on our last nerves! However, what we forget to do many times is remove those people from our minds once we finish interacting with them! We carry the unnecessary judgemental expectations of these individuals even after we are done dealing with them, and it does nothing to appease our mental health.

But I'm thinking... wouldn't people just be happier surrounding themselves with those they truly love? Interact with only those they wanted to, and talk to only those who made them truly happy? It is truly the easiest piece of advice I could give. I urge y'all out there to cleanse your mind and detox from all these people who make you unhappy, and spend that time with those you actually love.


2. Do something that calms you.

This is another easy one! Some people are fortunate enough that they love their work or school and are extremely content while doing it every day. Others perceive jobs or education as a means to an end and are only plowing through to get out. I have friends who are so unhappy with jobs or with their studies, but I understand why they may be stuck where they are.

However, they needn't stop there! People should just do one thing that truly makes them happy outside of their obligations of life. Whether it's going for runs, dancing, gardening, watching TV, reading, writing - absolutely whatever you like. That little down time for your brain will go a long way to relax you and make you happy. Meditation is a beautiful alternative here, by the by.


3. Hone a talent.

This one goes hand in hand with doing something that makes you happy. While some people might just want to do an activity that relaxes them, others engage in somethings that may be a wonderful talent. For example, drawing or painting, dancing, singing, playing an instrument. So many of these activities are some that can be learned over time and honed into amazing talents.

The feeling associated with being really good at something is so empowering, that it makes mastering an art almost necessary. It gives us a passion to pursue, an art to perfect and something to enjoy and be proud about ourselves for! Seriously y'all, try it.


4. Have no regrets.

I cannot stress the importance of this little nugget of advice. There are so many things I've done in the past that I wish I hadn't, and some I really wish I had. But I've had a realization: why keep wishing? Thinking back on the things I wish I hadn't done, I think again, and I say to myself - "Fuhgedaboudit!"

Being silly, taking chances, speaking your mind, taking a risk - these are all a part of learning. If you make mistakes while doing any of these, it's okay! As long as you learn from the experience and make the best of it, you really should have no regrets about your actions, reactions and decisions. Personally, I see it this way: I'd rather have learned a valuable lesson from taking a leap of faith and chasing an opportunity instead of not acting at all and later wishing I had. Simple!


5. Eat more fortune cookies!

This is undoubtedly the only key to happiness. The joy of opening cookies and reading into those fortunes with friends is so highly entertaining, that y'all simply have to try it. I mean, if you must, you can change the fortune cookie to a food or drink or snack of your choice, but why bother when we know fortune cookies exist? I kid, I kid. Just to share with you all, this is the fortune I got from a cookie I opened not too long ago:


In hopes that this fortune is true, I will stop my babbles here. =D

So there y'are! Here's another attempt at something on my part. I don't know what other tutorials I'll have, but I pick up ideas from everywhere I go, so let's see what next week holds! Until then...

Hasta la-buh bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment