Thursday, April 23, 2015

#ThrowbackThursday: French Edition (Part I)

Bienvenue à mes souvenirs.

Tonight, I take a walk down another memory lane.

To France.


This picture is of the largest train terminals connecting Paris to other major cities around France as well as Europe. It is called Paris Nord or Gare du Nord (which means the North Gate).

I arrived at this station on the most memorable day of my life thus far, my Champagne Birthday. I took the Euro-rail from London to Paris (*cue DDLJ music*), and so many things happened, good and bad. That day was such a roller coaster that I will never, ever, ever forget it. I got late, lost, (almost) robbed, drunk and still managed to see one of the seven wonders in the world.


Of course, the Eiffel Tower.

I cannot put into words the feeling I got when I stood there, and saw the Tower light up before my eyes. My mom looked at me and said, "I don't know what is sparkling more... the Tower or your eyes!"

It stands so tall, so magnificent, so powerful, in the heart of the city. Your gaze is just drawn to it no matter how hard you try. When I stood there, and looked up towards the Eiffel Tower, it literally felt as though happiness swelled up inside me like a hot air balloon that could never pop. It's been exactly a year and a half since that day, and it still brings me an inexplicable amount of joy when I remember that day and that feeling.

It had been my dream since I was about 10 years old after learning what these amazing wonders were, to spend my Champagne Birthday in Paris, the most romantic cities in the world.

And I owe it to my parents, my lucky stars and my relentless will-power and determination, that I made this happen. Do you know what a cool story this makes?!

However, I must confess. The Eiffel Tower, although undoubtedly breath-taking, is not the only sight to see in Paris or in France. The architecture in the city is absolutely unparalleled.


Buildings from all ages and times have still been maintained in their pristine conditions. You just feel as though you must be French when you're walking through those beautiful, cobble-stoned streets. France is known for so many significant landmarks, that it is truly hard to keep track of them all.

I took close to a thousand pictures in the 3 days we spent there, until I realized that I was seeing France through the lens. I had to put my camera away, and just take the magnificence of it all, in. You know how they say, French cuisine is the best in the world? They don't lie. If I close my eyes and think hard enough, I can still taste those crepes...

Of course, the art holds it's place with pride.

I must admit: although the Mona Lisa is extremely small, there is a certain feeling of satisfaction that simply cannot be explained when you stand in front of her, and she gives you that coy smile.


We visited many, many other beautiful places while we toured this lovely country, but I will save more of those memories for Part II of this edition. I simply could not squeeze everything into one post. In the second part, I will share more of my stories and experiences I had within France.

In the spirit of honesty, my words and these pictures truly do not do this trip enough justice. Being there and experiencing those moments, now feels like it was an out-of-this-world like experience. What I would give to go back and relive those few days...

For now though, this is me calling it a night. I'm sick as a dog again, and barely able to move *cries* so please send lots of "gws wishes" my way, please and thank you.

Au revoir, mes amis!

Until next time, and hopefully with better health...

Hasta la-buh bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment