Thursday, March 26, 2015

Proximity.

Aloha, everyone.

You know what I appreciate most about my passion to write? Being able to string and piece many and multiple thoughts together. As y'all may have noticed with my run-on sentences, I tend to ramble. Often times, I find myself jumping from one thought to another, leaving my initial thought behind while branching into a new one or even going off on a complete tangent. All scenarios are equally fun, in the spirit of complete honesty.

So it was through one such discussion that I thought of another interesting concept we tend to overlook many-a-time.

The concept of proximity.

While I think this concept applies to several notions in our lives, taking the current time and my current state of mind into consideration, I'm only going to talk about 2 of them.

1. Proximity in ideas

I think this somewhat relates to my point from before - many people tend to start by thinking about one subject. More often than not, this thought leads to another subject, followed by another, and then another. We have epiphanies and realizations as our brain tries to wrap itself around the magnitude of our thoughts.

I've had countless moments where I've slowly realized that my perception on a particular subject was one of a hundred different ways in which the topic could be perceived. Other times, I have only been able to see the "bigger picture", but I've failed to see the nitty-gritty that comes along with it.

It is times like these, where I like to refer to the definition of proximity our trusted friends Mariam & Webster gave us: the state of being near.

In trying to be near, it seems that we combine, innovate, create, and improve on what already exists, and end up with a unique invention of sorts!

2. Proximity in life

This concept has been chewing at my brain for quite some time. While proximity in ideas seems to offer a lot of positive outcomes, I think proximity in life, especially in relationships is seemingly just as adverse and harmful.

To me, the concept of proximity within relationship entails compromise and settlement. There are times in life when people come somewhat close to the goal they have set for themselves, and suddenly decide that that is the best they will ever do, and stop trying.

While in this case, they would be in proximity of their goal, they wouldn't quite be there. And the comfort, satisfaction and (false) sense of accomplishment this proximity offers, I think, is fairly deceiving. At the end of the day, your initially set goal is still not obtained.

Whether you choose to find another way to get there, or keep trying until you reach it, I think in times like these, we should not rely on proximity and the comfort it brings with it.

Similarly, with people and relationships, I am going to give a very bold piece of advice to y'all - take a chance, take a leap of faith. Don't settle within the proximity of what you want; instead, put that aside and chase what you truly set your heart on.

Maybe I haven't thought this concept through in its entirety, but that's what makes blogging fun. You get a play by play of what's happening in my brain. I may revisit it again, and see whether there are additional developments. But until then, it's a wrap!

I guess proximity matters.

Speaking of play, my heart is permanently broken because India lost the semi-finals at the Cricket World Cup *sobs*

With that - it's bedtime. I'm tired to the point of being delirious; my eye is twitching, I'm feverish and I think I've started hallucinating...

Hasta la-buh bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment